Sunday, December 2, 2012

May - nothing clever for the title this time

I had put off my annual mammogram long enough (almost 6 months overdue) and finally schedule it for May 1st.  As I was walking out the door that morning, Naomi asked me, "Mom, are you going to your maulogram?"  That one comment helped me laugh through the whole process.  I love my little girl!
 
 
Jeremy went to the orthodontist again to check on the progress of his eye teeth (remember, he had the top eye teeth pulled last May in order to let the adult ones grow in properly).  If they weren't starting to grow down we would be off to the oral surgeon to have traction put on them until they turned.  Luckily, they were FINALLY turning and growing in properly.  Jeremy was relieved to hear the good news.  He really didn't want any more surgery done or teeth pulled.  That is when Dr. Arkle mentioned that one of Jeremy's wisdom teeth was growing in at such an angle that it was not allowing the adjacent molar to grow in.  We were still going to the oral surgeon, but to have a wisdom tooth pulled instead.  Poor kid!  When it is all over and his smile is gorgeous and all of his teeth are where they should be hopefully he will think it was all worth it. 
 
May 7th was a great game day for Nicholas.  He played left field which is usually uneventful.  Not today.  He handled the ball in almost every inning and almost threw a runner out.  He is really getting the hang of this sport and he enjoys it more and more with each game.  I love to see his confidence growing.  There is even a kid on his team who will be going to Lake Norman Charter next year!!
 
 
May 18th, while Steve and Jeremy were at a scout campout I was playing football in the front yard with Nicholas, Naomi and the neighborhood kids. Everything was going great until the ball went down the storm drain.  I have seen Steve pick up the grate with relative ease and get balls out before and decided if he could do it, so could I.  There was a definitely fallacy in my thought process on that one.  I now appreciate just how strong Steve is.  I move the grate only slightly on the first attemp.  My better judgement which said, "It is just a foam football.  Let it go until someone can help you with this heavy grate" lost out to my over-inflated sense of what I can accomplish.  Long story short, the plan was to inch the grate out of the way, go down, retrieve the football, replace the grate in the same inch-by-inch manner and be the hero of the day.  Instead, I ended up dropping the grate down the hole while almost ripping my ring finger off in the process and severely mauling my wedding ring.  It took three of us (me, a neighbor and a kind Samaratin who was out walking his dog) to get the grate back in its proper position.  My hand was black and blue and swollen for weeks afterwards. I couldn't form a tight fist for three months and it wasn't until recently (it is now December) that I was able to wear my wedding ring again.  From now on the football can stay down there and rot while I got to the store and buy a new one which will cost significantly less than having your mauled wedding ring fixed!!!  Lesson learned. 
 



Nicholas's team went to the championship game and took second place after a very competitive and close game.  The Red Sox started out in a slump and were getting pummeled in the first two innings.  Their three best batters struck out in both innings.  When Nicholas got up to bat the mood in our dugout was pretty grim.  Nicholas didn't let that put a damper on his determination.  He missed the first pitch, but really connected with the next one and got on base which got the rest of the team back on track.  One of the boys who had not hit the ball all year got a hit and ended up on base.  In the end we may have lost, but it was the best game any of the boys had ever played and the funnest game for the parents to watch.  What a perfect way to end the season.  Nicholas was thrilled with the plaque they all received.  Everyone who played during the season got a participation trophy, but only the two teams that went to the championship game got a plaque.  He proudly (and rightfully so) displays his plaque in his room.  It was a great season. 


On our first sports-free weekend in months we went to the zoo and had a great time just doing what ever we wanted.



No comments: