Sunday, November 27, 2011

God's Rolling Pin Upside My Head

I've been told before that I don't listen very well. I have vehimently denied it, but it is time to face the truth. I don't listen very well. Last May Nicholas had a mini-meltdown saying we are always so busy that we don't have time for family. We patted him on the head and said we would try to do better. And we did, sort of! June, July, August, September, October passed and Nicholas brought up the argument again. We set a date to go to the zoo, which is what he really wanted to do (for almost 9 months now). Nothing got in our way and we had a fabulous day! The next day was the primary program and the kids did a tremendous job. The spirit was there. The last song was "Praise to the Man" and was started by a father and his two sons for the first verse. The primary joined in for the second verse, followed by the priesthood members in the congregation joining for the third verse. By the time the fourth verse came and the entire congregation joined in I could hardly sing because of the tears. The spirit was so strong by the end of that song that even the smallest child felt it. The chapel as completely silent during the prayer. I get chills now just thinking about it. That was a powerful primary program.

Anyhow, that's when the rolling pin hit. I had been sick with a cold since before Halloween (and this was now the 20th of November!). For the first time in years I left church right after the program and came home and crashed. Monday I called the doctor because if I didn't Steve was going to. Tuesday I saw the doctor and was diagnosed with pneumonia! I was told to take it easy for a week. If I wasn't going to slow myself down then a loving Heavenly Father was going to do it for me, thus the rolling pin analogy! That is what it takes to get me to listen. You would think I would learn after having a 3-month-old in the hospital deparately ill after being given a bottle because I wasn't there to feed him and later finding out he was allergic to milk. I had been to a job interview and a Young Womens meeting. I turned down the job after realizing that my baby needed me more. You would think I had learned my lesson. I warned you, I don't listen! I felt like I needed to contribute to the family income not long after that and started selling vitamins from home. I ended up with a complete body rash from taking the vitamins. It turns out my body doesn't handle large amounts of B vitamins very well. Once again, the rolling pin and I listened.

I have learned my lesson and I am taking it easy. The kids and Steve have really stepped in and helped to make sure that I don't over do it. They helped fix Thanksgiving dinner and did the dishes afterwards. They cleaned up the entire house, dusting and vaccuming included. I tried to do the 9 loads of laundry that have been accumulating and broke down half-way through with Steve finishing up the last of it for me. You can't blame me for trying. No one had any clean underwear! Steve also spent the weekend picking up the items that were on sale during the fabulous After Thanksgiving sales that were on our Christmas list. He even spent time with each individual child helping them pick out things for everybody for Christmas. On top of that he took the kids geocaching to get Jeremy's Geocaching merit badge requirements almost done.

I have stayed true to the promise to relax and take it easy. I caught up on my journal during this time and am now taking time to catch up on the blog. So keep checking in over the next couple of days as I catch you up on what has been happening with the Cannon family since July.

No comments: