Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bathroom Alchemy

The following entry really is quite humorous in hind-sight, but it was really scary at the time. I am giving you permission to chuckle or out-right laugh as you read.

It was a normal day and things were going well. I was finishing up the dishes and the kids were done with their school work for the day. That is when Nicholas came downstairs carrying the blue, long-neck bottle he got when we attended the Utah Reniassance Festival in May. He smiled as he told me he had been concocting things in the bathroom. As he talked I detected a faint hint of rubbing alcohol and baby powder on his breath. My mind started swirling with what this might mean when his voice burst through my thoughts, "It didn't taste too bad either, Mom!" Realization hit like a Mack Truck - my baby had been drinking things from the bathroom! Trying to keep a level and collected voice I had him take me upstairs to the bathroom and show me what he used to make his "drink". My heart sank further and further into stomach as he pulled out one thing after another from under the sink. After a lengthy call to Poison Control I was finally reassured that he was not going to die of poisoning or that his stomach was not going to erode or explode. We sat down and had a more lengthy talk about the dangers of drinking things made from items found in the bathroom. Later that day, after putting him to bed, I found the following note on his door.


"Do not drink any bathroom supply mixtures!"


I would say that is good, sound advice.

No comments: