Thursday, February 21, 2013

Multisyllabic words

Every afternoon I drive to the golf course parking lot to pick up Jeremy from school.  He truly dislikes riding the bus with a bunch of inconsiderate, seemingly uneducated and rude pre-teens and teens (imagine that!!???!) I don't mind because I get to hear all about his day during the ride home.  He always has something interesting to tell me.  On this particular day he got into the truck in an agitated state.  After a moment of silence he told me what was bothering him. Apparently, one of the boys that is in the group with which he walks was teasing him for using such high and mighty language.  This boy, whose name is Nathan, was teasing one of the girls and was sticking grass, leaves and sticks in her hood.  The girl didn't like it and Jeremy helped her empty all the stuff out of her hood.  Nathan told Jeremy that he was being a suck-up.  Jeremy told Nathan he was being considerate.  Nathan then proceeded to tease Jeremy about using words that belonged in the 17th century.  "What does that word even mean?" he yelled.  Jeremy told him it meant being a gentleman.  Nathan teased even more until one of the girls spoke up and said, "Nathan, it means being nice!!"   I couldn't help chuckling a bit during his narration because Nathan obviously did not understand the meaning of either word which was readily demonstrated by his lack of either skill.  I told Jeremy I was proud of him for being a considerate gentleman and suggested that in the future he not use multisyllabic words with Nathan - excuse me Nate (wouldn't want to confuse him with more than one syllable!).  By the time we got home he was laughing and coming up with single syllable - I mean one sound - words to use with Nate in the future - I mean time that has not come yet!

Here's to all the considerate gentleman out there - your efforts are greatly appreciated!  Continue your demonstrations of manners!  If you don't understand what that means, well....

1 comment:

RIck and Ella-Rene said...

love love love this story....


Jeremy I hope you will continue to be the consummate gentlemen and defender of women you have shown yourself to be thus far111