Thursday, December 24, 2015

September 2015

September was a busy, fun month.  It started off with me getting a mouth guard that would hopefully help with the jaw pain and stiffness.  So far, so good.  Now maybe I will be able to eat a banana without having to cut it up into small pieces.

Soccer started the last week in August, but really got going in September.  The head coach needed someone to help out on the field during practices.  I offered since I would be there the whole time anyway.  It turned out to be a really good decision.  I ended up as the unofficial assistant coach and had a blast working with the girls.  Coach Russ took a rag tag group of girls with all levels of skill and turned them into a really great team that went all the way to the championship game.  Wait...I am getting ahead of myself.  More to come later.

September 5th we went shopping to get some new clothes for the kids 72 hour kits.  We hadn't updated the clothing in several years and the clothes were drastically too small.  We had a blast picking stuff out at the Goodwill.
Jeremy modeling the latest and greatest fashion.  He is such a nut.  
The kids were very excited to finally have enough collective money to buy a much-wanted Wii game, Splatoon.  They played it for several hours once we got home.  We broke up the Splatoon party to get to Paige Tufts baptism. I played the piano and took pictures for the family.  Tabitha did the same for us at Naomi's baptism.  It was fun to see Paige so excited.  Her little sisters were watching everything and getting excited for their big day.  That night, Steve and I finally went out for our anniversary dinner.  It was nice to get away just the two us for a little bit.

September 7, Steve and Nick were up bright and early to fishing.  They went to Lake James and rented a canoe.  Both of them caught (and released) several fish and had a great day together on the lake.


Back at home, Jeremy finished up his homework and then went to Justin's house for a little Dungeons and Dragons.  Naomi and I spent the day finishing little projects at home.  Everyone enjoyed their day.

September 12th was a busy day.  Steve took Naomi to her soccer game in the morning so I could go to the church and be ready for the Activity Girls primary activity.  I was playing the part of the Wicked Witch of the West.  It was going to be a fun day of scaring the little girls.  I put witches legs in their cupcakes as I told them "I hope a house does not drop on your pretty little head."  In between "classes", I would jump out and scare the girls (which was super fun!!).  They quickly learned that if they sang their favorite primary song or recited an Article of Faith that I would go away.  By the end of the activity I decided I wanted to be a part of their church because they were so friendly and amazing.  I had a line of girls wanting my autograph at the end of the activity.  I really enjoyed helping out at this activity.  

Me and Glenda, the Good Witch of the North (played by Taya Sigg).  The green paint on my face did not rinse off my  hands very well and I was worried I would have a green face the next day at church.  Thank goodness it all washed out. The primary kids would have LOVED it though. 


I stayed in full costume and make up while I drove home.  Nick was working on a school project and needed a witch for his video.  His assignment was to make a travel video/commercial trying to get people to come and visit New York.  His group had done much in school (not for lack of Nick trying to get them to do something) so he decided to get the project done on his own over the weekend.  We all pitched in and helped him.  In the end, he got an A on the project and his video was chosen to be shown at the next staff meeting to show the teachers how the new programs and technology could be used in the classroom.  Way to go, Nick!!!  https://youtu.be/5GRJ_zQQg9Y  This is the link to the video if you want to see his masterpiece.

That night was Ashley Croshaw's Harry Potter birthday party.  I stayed and helped out where needed.  I also got to be the photographer.  It was a fun night.  They swam in the pool, drank butter beer, played pin the scar on Harry and goofed off.  

Everyone in the pool.

On the stairs of Hogwarts.

September 18th I went kayaking on the Catawba River with Sara Muller and Julie Todd.  This is what Sara really wanted to do for her birthday and it was a blast.  I am really glad I went.  It was so relaxing to just float/paddle on the river, watch all the amazing scenery and talk with such fun ladies.  We saw turtles sunning themselves on a log and a gorgeous blue herron.  After a couple hours on the river, we returned to the kayaks and enjoyed lunch with a stunning view of the river.  What an outstanding day!!!

Off we go!!
Sara and Julie with our birthday pies.  


Me and Sara (the birthday girl)

This is our view for lunch.

I love this porch.  It was so relaxing.  The perfect way to end a perfect activity.

September 19th, Naomi had a great soccer game.  She scored three of the five goals for the team.  In soccer they call that a "hat trick".  She was so excited.  Coach Russ likes to play her on offense because she has such a strong kick.  She also doesn't just shoot straight into the goal.  She likes to sneak it in on the side.  Naomi really likes to play goalie and defense.  Coach Russ told her that if she would get out there and score some goals he would put her in as goalie.  That is exactly what she did.  

September 20th, I got a real shock.  Steve and I were called to meet with a member of the bishopric.  Since I had only been in my current calling (Primary chorister) 9 months and the primary program was coming up the following week, I was certain this calling was for Steve. He has been the Scout Master for 5 years.  In my mind I was already getting rid of the all the scout stuff we have been storing in the garage and making room for other things that we could put out there.  Stuff that was strategically stored inside the house - oh, and those cute little Christmas trees I have always wanted to put out on the porch but haven't had the room to store all year.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when Brother Shamanis said, "We are in the process of reorganizing our Young Women's presidency."  It shouldn't have been such a shock because I had felt that something was coming.  The Lord always helps to soften these changes for me by putting events in my life that prepare me.  I had been through one of these events in the previous two weeks, but...  I eventually said yes to the calling but asked that it not be announced until after the Primary Program the following week.  I didn't want the kids to have to deal with that bombshell right before performing.  Seven years in RS, then 7 years in Primary, now on to Young Women.  Adventure awaits. 

September 21st Jeremy got asked out on his very first date.  The Laurels in our ward had planned a good, old-fashioned date night as an activity.  Each girls chose a boy in the Priests to ask.  The girls were supposed to ask the boys in a fun and creative way.  She decorated our porch floor with Hershey's Kisses and held up a sign that said, "Now that I have kissed the ground you walk on, would you go out with me?"  Jeremy was really shocked and pleased at the same time.  She told him not to answer yet.  He needed to do it in a fun way as well.  

September 22nd, Jeremy answered her by putting a 2x4 on the ground.  When she answered the door, he stepped over the board and said, "I know this may be going over board and may be a little corny (while handing her candy corns), but I would love to go out with you."  

September 23rd the date happened.  The Laurels and Priests met at the church where the Laurel advisor (Sara Muller) had set up a date area complete with a blanket and lights.  They made a huge ice cream sundae and ate it while getting to know each other.  Everyone really enjoyed the night.  

From left to right:  Audrey, Justice, Jeremy, Justin, Matt, Sam and Jacey
Making the huge ice cream sundae

September 27th, while the boys went to Delks (an amazing Army surplus store not too far away), Naomi and I went and had our hair cut and then went to a soccer game in the rain.  It was a little slippery, but the girls loved it because it wasn't hot.  They played their little hearts out and won the game.  Naomi and I hurried home to take a shower so we could get to the primary program practice on time.  Everything went well.  The kids are ready for the program.  That night, Naomi and I watched the General Women's Broadcast from home.  We were too tired to go back down to the church.  The talks were perfect and just what we needed to hear.

Sunday, September 28th.  The primary kids blew everyone away with their primary program.  They sang with all their heart.  It was amazing.  I was so proud of them.  They worked so hard all year long and it really showed.  I had a hard time not crying while they were singing.  WOW!!! I love those kids.

Back at home, we all helped Jeremy make a video for Spanish class.  His project was to make a video of him cooking a Spanish dish.  He chose enchiladas.  We didn't mind helping out at all since we got to eat the finished product.

September 30th ended with a Court of Honor.  This one was huge because it involved all the merit badges the boys had earned at camp over the summer as well as several rank advancements.    Steve has been working really hard to get the boys excited about the program and it really showed.

Nick got his rank advancement to Star as well as seven merit badges.  

Jeremy got his first palm and two merit badges.  



No comments: