Monday, December 29, 2014

September 2014

September always feels like the beginning of a new year for me although it is still 2014.  School starts, church activity day changes, the weather starts to mellow and it is not so hot.  This September there were plenty of changes.  

Activity Day Girls started up again and Naomi was thrilled.  She had missed it over the summer.  The boys went bowling with the Young Men.  Everyone was happy.  

Olivia was fascinated by all of Naomi's Barbie clothes during their visit in August and wanted me to make her some Barbie clothes for her birthday.  I love doing this kind of thing so I was really excited about the request.  I spent the first week in September sewing the clothes.  At one point I couldn't find Barbie to try on the newest creation.  I looked everywhere and finally found her pole dancing on one of the shelves in the bonus room.  I asked Nick and Jeremy about it because I thought they were the most likely culprits.  I was wrong.  I will have to watch Naomi a little more closely in the future.  Silly girl.  We got a good laugh about it. 

Brother Ben Barker, the second counselor in the bishopric, came by to visit.  He had recently gotten a job in Virginia and would be moving soon.  It was his goal to visit all the families that had had an impact on him while he was in this ward.  He is such an amazing man.  I imagine that he is like what President Monson must have been like when he was younger.  Needless to say, the visit was amazing.  We will miss having the Barkers in our ward.  

September 13th I picked a sobbing Naomi up early from what looked like an amazing primary activity.The theme was "Women of Divine Power."  The stake primary presidency decorated several rooms and each room had an amazing woman from the scriptures in it to tell them her story.  Sister Shamanis, the stake primary president, gave Naomi a huge hug and told her that most of the activity had already happened.  They would be eating lunch in a few minutes and then going home.  That helped Naomi feel a little bit better.  At the soccer field she perked up a whole lot when we met her coach and got her uniform.  She changed in the bathroom and was ready to take on the other team.  She was fierce, scoring the first goal of the game and assisted in the second goal from their goalie box. 

September 16th my mom fell and got a compression fracture in her lower back.  I know that my sisters are there taking very good care of her, but I really hate being so far away at times like this.  GRRRRRRR!!!

September 19th was my first day subbing at Lake Norman Charter.  I had the Exception Children (EC) kids which was a good challenge getting to know their individual needs and personalities. It was only a half day so it wasn't too tough.   I enjoyed the day for the most part.  

That afternoon was the girls lunch at my house to celebrate Sara Muller's birthday.  She wanted Mexican so I made the Cafe Rio burritos and Julie and Christie took care of dessert and drinks.  We had a great afternoon just laughing and eating good food.  I love spending time with these ladies.  

That night the boys and I ran Naomi to a birthday party and then headed to the elementary school to help out at the book fair.  Both boys needed service hours for either school or scouts and they were excited about helping out.  

September 20th Steve and I went to the Marc Broussard concert.  Steve has wanted to go to a Marc Broussard concert for years, but the timing just didn't work.  He called me that morning and said there were still tickets available for that night.  We were actually free.  The band that opened for him was amazing!  Mingo Fishtrap - you should look them up.  It was a great night filled with incredible music.  I am glad we went.  

September 22nd I subbed again but this time for Mrs. Stienbecker, 7th grade history teacher.  I loved that each class was working on the same subject.  It gave me a good chance to get a handle on what to teach and how to help the kids with their assignment.  I also found out that Nick's math teacher, Mrs. Pandya, is the mother of Naomi's best friend at school, Anusha.  It is a small world.  Naomi is even more excited about coming to Lake Norman Charter now that she knows Anusha will be there too.  

September 24th I went to visit with Sister Ford.  I needed to pick her brain for some good British phrases for a character I would be playing at an upcoming murder mystery party.  I told her I only had "poppycock" and "rubbish" so far.  She thought for a minute or two and then said, "My goodness!  I have quite forgotten how to speak British!"  We got a good laugh over that one.  

September 27th, the boys went with Steve to the Scouter's Success seminar to help him with the food preparation.  They had a great time assisting and getting to meet a bunch of people from the Hornet's Nest District.  Nick helped with the cakes and Jeremy did the stew and hobo dinners.  

Meanwhile, back at home, Naomi and I went shopping for some dresses for her.  She needed some church clothes.  We hit the jackpot at Kohl's (our favorite store).  She got two perfect dresses and a pair of boots for only $50.  While still on this retail high, she helped her soccer team, which was down by 3 at the half, come back and win it 7-6.  Naomi got two of those goals.  

Back at home, she and I got ready for the Women's Conference that night.  I absolutely love that they changed the age from 12 to 8 and now Naomi can come with me.  Lisa and Mackenzie Koll joined us and we had a great time before hand mingling with the other sisters in the stake and then listening to the words of the prophet, apostles and church leaders.  The theme of the pre-mingle this year was "Flood the Earth with Goodness" (spreading the word through social media).  There were several picture taking stations with props and signs that said things like, "I am a daughter of God!" and "I know Jesus loves me."  We all took pictures and posted them to our social sites.  It was fun.  

September 30th was a great way to end a very busy month.  I took Nick to the orthodontist in the morning and then to the allergist in the afternoon.  We set up his shrimp challenge for October.  Since Jeremy is in the school play (a Theater II/III project) we had to go get him from school at 5:30 and then head straight to the church for Coleman O'Brien's Eagle Court of Honor.  He was up until 11:30 doing homework, but it was a great day.  (Foreshadowing for the next month and a half!!)

Steve presenting Coleman with his Eagle.

These three cuties are my great niece and nephews!

Naomi and her study-buddy, Ava.  They just happened to be dressed this way!  


No comments: